The remaining QSU categories (Strategic Planning, Communication, Services, Governance, Review and Evaluation, Context and Impact) should all be addressed within the Students’ Union of the Year nomination process, as well detailing examples of national participation and demonstrations of contribution to the student movement.
To recognise the achievements of students’ unions in the past twelve months in shaping education and empowering individuals
1. Explain the context and background of your submission.
- How did you identify the need/want to change?
- What objectives were set?
- What is special about your students’ union?
2. Describe what actions you took, and the challenges that arose.
- How have you reacted and adapted to changes in its members’ views and needs?
- What activities or services have been put in place to benefit your members?
- How does your students’ union empower student leaders?
- How do you ensure inclusivity in decision making?
- What processes exist for effective two-way communication with members?
- How are your future plans informed by members?
- How do you check progress against plans and accountability processes?
- How have you contributed towards the wider student movement?
3. What changes have been achieved?
- Do your outcomes and impacts align to objectives?
- Can you demonstrate impact of your organisation? (changes, policy, process, market research, vote, press releases, videos)
- Can you demonstrate impact on your associated college or university? (committee paper, changed policy, market research, press release, video)
- Can you demonstrate impact on your membership? (market research, vote, video)